Thursday, September 2, 2010

Best Macaroni and Cheese EVA!

Today was a bad day... and when I say bad I mean BAD!  I have suffered from asthma for years now and usually run to control it.. but today after several days of not feeling good.. I just couldn'nt breathe.  Needless to say I took a quick trip to the hospital, had a couple of breathing treatments, got several new prescriptions and am feeling MUCH better! 
Sometimes when I'm feeling bad I find that some really yummy comfort is in order.  So tonight for dinner I wanted something super yummy and quick, my own 30 minute meal so to speak.  So I made my favorite Macaroni and Cheese from scratch!  Here's the recipe so you can enjoy too!

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk (any % depending on how lowfat you want it)
1 package of any kind of shredded cheese
1 lb package of pasta (I like elbows best)
1 package of frozen broccoli or peas



The RUE!
Okay for those of you who don't know what a rue is it is a wonderful base for ANY cream sauce.  It is really versatile and super easy to make.. and it sound fancy when you tell people about it!  So here goes.
In a sauce pan heat the butter over medium heat until melted. 

Once melted whisk in the flour until mixed.. do not let it BURN! 

Then add in all of the milk and whisk until it comes to a boil. 

Once it has boiled, season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. 

In another pot on the stove boil your water for pasta.   Once you have thrown in the pasta to boil add the cheese to your rue. 

Turn off the heat and set aside.  Drain the pasta and then toss together with the cheese sauce and your vegetable. 

Then sit down and eat up!    Here's what ours looked like with some grilled chicken and steamed broccoli.


Now since I was not feeling well.. I did not get much crafting done.  However, I did finish a custom order that I was working on and come to think of it, it was made with all materials that I had in my stash.. So we'll just call it stashbusting project #2.  I am pretty proud of it as it is the first Fox that I have ever made.  Hope you like it!


By the way, I was just wondering if I am the only one out there who keeps both their kitchen aid for baking and their cricut for crafting on the counter in the kitchen?




Love,
Pinkapotamus

6 comments:

  1. I know all about having to go to urgent care for an asthma attack. Hope you're feeling better - there's little worse than not being able to breathe.

    And I LOVE mac and cheese!

    We must REALLY be like long-lost sisters or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining our blog party over at Sassy Sites! I always love to see the fun blogs and cute stuff that everyone is working on! Come back next Friday... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. The Mac & Cheese looks awesome!
    2. I would definitely keep my cricut next to my kitchenaid if I had a cricut... (note to self... get cricut...)
    3. I found your blog via one of your comments on another blog, and just had to meet another AmieAnn (although I'm an Amy Anne)!

    Following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Sassy Sites to say hello! You have a super cute blog and I love your cricut next to your kitchen aid - that is the kitchen of one crafty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank goodness you're feeling much better. When my allergies attack me, thank goodness it's not that often, I feel like a bus ran me over. I thought I was following you but somehow I wasn't getting your feeds. I think I fixed that problem, I hope. I wish I was more computer savvy.

    Your mac and cheese looks delicious, I'll have to try the recipe, my boys love it and I always feel guilty giving them the overly processed "instant" ones they sell at the store.

    I don't own a cricut...lucky you! I have one of those archaic sizzix machines that you can buy on ebay for ten dollars. I'm lucky to have a craft room and that's where I keep my sizzix.

    Wouldn't that be a fun linky party, "Where do you store your Cricut machine" I'll bet Provo Craft would love that linky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am about to go into the kitchen to make this... Wish me luck......

    ReplyDelete